A fabulous but challenging experience, this excursion is perfect for adventurers and nature lovers as we will appreciate several impressive landscapes, especially when we are at our highest point at 4700 masl, from where we will observe the imposing snowy peak of Salkantay. Then we’ll descend to a Tropical zone, full of vegetation towards the Inca sanctuary of Machu Picchu, a world wonder!
Summary travel plan
- Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata - Soraypampa (3900 masl)
- Day 2: Soraypampa - Paso Salkantay - Challhuay
- Day 3: Chalhuay – La Playa (1900 masl)
- Day 4: La Playa - Santa Teresa – Aguas Calientes (Optional: Zip Line)
- Day 5: Machu Picchu - Cusco City
Itinerary Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata - Soraypampa (3900 masl)
Our services begin picking you up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:30 am, boarding the transportation will take us to the picturesque village of Mollepata (approximately 2:30 hours), once we arrive we will have breakfast and later we will start our trek to Soraypampa. En route we will stop in some viewpoints to enjoy magnificent views of the valley of Limatambo. At 1:00 pm we will make a stop to enjoy our lunch and afterwards we will walk upwards observing the varieties of flora and fauna of the region. After 4 hours of hiking we will arrive at Soraypampa located at 3900 masl, where we will enjoy a dinner and rest in our tents.
Day 2: Soraypampa - Paso Salkantay - Challhuay
On our second exciting day, we will get up very early to see the sunrise and have breakfast, and we will continue our harder hike towards the Salkantay Pass where we will reach the 4700 meters of altitude (our highest point) from where we will observe the imposing snow-capped Salkantay. Here we’ll have an explanation of our guide, we will see the stone mounds called Apachetas and we will be able to take many photos.
After lunch and after this fascinating experience, we will begin our descent trek to the village of Chaullay. En route we will see the Santa Teresa valley, other snowy peaks and lakes, we will arrive around 5pm, we will have dinner and we will rest in our tents.
Day 3: Chalhuay – La Playa (1900 masl)
On the third day will start our trek into the tropical way descending from Chaullay until La Playa passing for the villages of Arranyanpata and Collpapampa until Winaypujio where we can enjoy our lunch and rest for a few minutes.
Then we will be continued to La Playa where we have dinner and slept.
Day 4: La Playa - Santa Teresa – Aguas Calientes (Optional: Zip Line)
Early we will get up, we walk for 10 minutes to take our transport to Santa Teresa where we will take our breakfast and continue with our trip walking until Hidroelectrica for approximately 2 hours, place where we will enjoy our lunch. Shortly afterwards, we will continue the trek along a flat road located at the side of the train tracks and surrounded by abundant vegetation until arriving at Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo). On the way we can also observe some waterfalls.
Arriving in Aguas Calientes around 4:30 in the afternoon, we will go to the hostel reserved to accommodate ourselves, you can pass by its thermal baths to relax from the long walk or to know a little more of this small tourist town. In the evening we will meet to have dinner together with the group in a restaurant.
If you prefer take the Zip Line activity option (surcharge), you will make it in the morning we will transport you until our Zip line instalations and you can enjoy of the freedom to flight. Once over this activity we will be transporting you in car until Hidroelectric where you will be meeting with the group.
Day 5: Machu Picchu - Cusco City
This will be our last day of travel, in which we will visit the majestic Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. We will start with a short walk of approximately two hours by an Inca trail, towards the majestic ancient city of Machu Picchu, considered as one of the 7 wonders of the modern world.
Once in the citadel our guide will take us on a guided tour to know the most important places of the Inca city. Then we will have free time to take pictures.
Finally we will be back in the town of Aguas Caliente to take the train back to Ollantaytambo, where our tourist transport awaits us to take us back to the city of Cusco.
This tour includes
- Transport: Cusco – Mollepata
- Professional Guide
- Admission: Machu Picchu Citadel
- 01 Night’s Lodging in Aguas Calientes
- Meals: 04 Breakfasts / 04 Lunches / 04 Dinners
- Mule to carry camping equipment
- First-Aid Kit and Oxygen Bottle
- Camping Mattress
- Tourist-Class Transport: Ollantaytambo – Cusco
This tour does NOT include
- Breakfast on day 01
- Lunch on day 05 in Aguas Calientes
- Sleeping bag
- Roundtrip Bus Tickets: Aguas Calientes – Machupicchu
- Admission to Salkantay
- Admission to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu peaks (is really important to reserved before for the availability)
Important tour information "Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu"
- The carrier will only take camping equipment and the passenger bags no more than 5 Kg.
- The cook will join us for the 4 first days of the tour, for the preparations of the meals
- There are food options for vegetarians
What to bring for this tour?
- Bring extra drinks
- Sunscreen and sun hat
- Warm clothes
- Walking clothing for the road through the jungle
- Wear appropriate hiking shoes and an extra pair
- Swiming suit (if you want to visit the Hot Springs in Aguas Calientes)
- 1 night accommodation in a basic hostel in Aguas Calientes
- 04 Breakfasts
- 04 Lunches
- 04 Dinners